I want a puppy!!!

Animals have always been a pretty central part of my life. Growing up on a ranch in Wyoming, I had my own dog before I was even old enough to sit up on my own! We had animals of all sorts of shapes & sizes - dogs, cats, guinea pigs, one pet rat, sheep, horses, cattle, neighbor llamas & ostriches. Plus Wyoming is full of wildlife. I remember being on the bus on our way to a basketball game in junior high school, & the bus had to stop & wait while a herd of elk slowly meandered across the highway. Another time, I was driving home in high school when I spotted a cluster of baby bobcats, so I stopped & watched them for awhile.

The hardest thing about living in NYC has been the lack of animals. While I haven't been to all the different museums or shows, I have made it to the Bronx Zoo, the NY Aquarium, & I have been to the Central Park Zoo numerous times. I also recently started walking dogs at a shelter (just as a volunteer), but even that doesn't fill the void that has happened since moving here without a single pet.

I love when people tell you to buy a plant, or get a fish. Well, I have a plant, it is doing great, but it doesn't get excited to see me. I can't play fetch with it, or let it curl up on my lap while watching t.v. Fish are fine for some people, but unless I'm going to build up an aquarium with either salt-water fish, or tropical fish, I don't get that into it. I just moved into an apartment that allows pets, but seeing as the entire studio is less than 200 square feet, I'm not sure I'll be getting one anytime soon.

Comments

Popular Posts