Musical Musings #!

"Music washes away the from the soul the dust of everyday life." Berthold Auerbach

If there has ever been anything that connects me to this earth & gives me purpose, it would be the passion I feel regarding music. While this passion has been put on a back burner for the past year, music always has been, & always will be my defining element. Without music, I would be lost & devoid of light & unable to find purpose.

Music is constantly playing to me. Whether it is coming through the headphones of my iPod, through the snippets of songs playing in my mind while walking around the office, or the street sounds that make up life, music follows me everywhere. I have always said wholeheartedly that if I were ever forced to choose between my sight & my hearing, I would give up the ability to see in a split second. There is a large part of my soul that exists purely to enjoy, create, & share music with all those around me.

There are certain songs that will always take me on a musical journey through time. Everytime I hear 2Pac's California Love, I can't help but think about Kameron, Tyler, Phil, & I cruising in my '84 Lincoln Towncar on Main St., with the boys popping open the doors just to try & bother me. Or I might be on the train going to work in the morning when Powerman 5000 comes on, & a special night out with my sister while I was in high school makes me burst into the biggest smile. Even though I'm sure people around me wonder just what the hell happened, I find myself becoming elated, then angry, then about to tears, before Jungle Boogie starts to play & I am back to feeling the funk.

Music takes us on a trip that cannot be expressed in words. Music has this power to alter your mood, help you lose weight, committ to lifechanging decisions, or just to pacify the mind & get you through the day. This will not be the last time I share my thoughts on music, as I could spend every blog doing just that. However, think right now to a song that makes you feel on top of the world, then go turn on the shower, climb in & rock out!

"I talk because I'm stubborn; I sing because I'm free." Ma Rainey

Comments

Popular Posts